The 2009 Runners-Up
After getting a gentle nudge from Zach yesterday—a nudge that reinforced those coming from other friends—I’ve posted the 2009 Faves list (for a little background on it, check out this this News post). If you’ve perused these lists in the past, you know that each list has a counterpart: a selection of good discs that, for various reasons, didn’t make it onto the official list and its accompanying compilation.
This here is the companion list.
As has been the case in previous years, the reasons these discs appear here rather than on the Faves are too many to characterize in detail. In general, they are well-conceived and well-recorded, and each of them, I think, rewards repeated listening. Each of my journeys through their sonic territory, though, seemed slightly less fulfilling, a little less full of moments that I had to mark mentally.
- A Camp, Colonia
- Apostle of Hustle, Eats Darkness
- Neko Case, Middle Cyclone
- Rosanne Cash, The List
- The Church, Untitled #23
- Depeche Mode, Sounds of the Universe
- Doves, Kingdom of Rust
- The Flaming Lips, Embryonic
- Great Lake Swimmers, Lost Channels
- PJ Harvey and Jon Parish, A Woman a Man Walked By
- Levon Helm, Electric Dirt
- Fred Hersch Pocket Orchestra, Live at Jazz Standard
- Magnolia Electric Company, Josephine
- Mos Def, The Ecstatic
- Me’shell Ndegéocello, Devil’s Halo
- Piano Magic, Ovations
- Sonic Youth, The Eternal
- A Sunny Day in Glasgow, Ashes Grammar
- Henry Threadgill Zooid, This Brings Us To, Vol. I
- Wilco, Wilco (The Album)